Lama Tsongkhapa Day, or Ganden Ngamchoe, is a celebration of the anniversary of Lama Tsongkhapa’s parinirvana. It is celebrated on the 25th day of the 10th month in the Tibetan calendar. This year, Lama Tsongkhapa Day falls on Tuesday, December 12.
Lama Tsongkhapa (1357-1419) was a Tibetan Buddhist master whose studies and meditations in all the major schools of Tibetan Buddhism resulted in the founding of the Gelugpa lineage.
“Lama Tsongkhapa Day is for us to remember what Lama Tsongkhapa did and then follow his example,” said Khen Rinpoche Geshe Chonyi, the abbot of Kopan Monastery and Nunnery. “This verse from a text called An Autobiography of Realization: Fulfilled Wishes (rtogs brjod mdun legs ma) illustrates what Lama Tsongkhapa did:
In the beginning I strove extensively in the vast ocean of learning.
In the middle all the scriptural traditions dawned on me as advice.
In the end I practiced all day and night.“
There are many practices you can do to create merit on this special day! The main practice, recommended by Lama Zopa Rinpoche, is Lama Chöpa. The FPMT Foundation Store makes this practice available in hardcopy and as a downloadable PDF. If you are unable to do Lama Chöpa, Lama Tsongkhapa Guru Yoga is also recommended.
Additionally, there are other practices students are encouraged to do, as you are able. Consider some of the following:
- 1000 Offerings to Lama Tsongkhapa
- Extensive Offering Practice (a4 version)
Extensive Offering Practice (letter version)
- “Glory of the Triple Ground” (English Version of “Palden Sa Suma”)
- “A Hymn of Experience” by Je Tsongkhapa
- “Destiny Fulfilled”
- “Prayer for the Flourishing of Je Tsongkhapa’s Teachings” (a4 version)
“Prayer for the Flourishing of Je Tsongkhapa’s Teachings” (letter version)
- Lama Tsongkhapa’s Secret Biography (a4 version)
Lama Tsongkhapa’s Secret Biography (letter version)
- “Dependent Arising: A Praise to the Buddha”
- Prière pour le développement de Lama Tsongkhapa (lecture)
- Prière pour le développement de Lama Tsongkhapa (livret)
- 1000 Offerings to Lama Tsongkhapa (Part 1)
1000 Offerings to Lama Tsongkhapa (Part 2)
- “Palden Sa Suma” (Tibetan Version of “Glory of the Triple Ground”)
- Lama Tsongkhapa’s Secret Biography
You can read more about this advice, plus a teaching from Lama Zopa Rinpoche about Lama Tsongkhapa Day:
Through comprehensive study programs, practice materials, training seminars, and scholarships, FPMT Education nourishes the development of compassion, wisdom, kindness, and true happiness in individuals of all ages.